We are in fall!
And I believe that it is possible to fall in love with fall! 🙂
This season could be really amazing, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, lazy Sun shining over the streets with its golden rays makes perfect weather conditions for walking and spending time outside. Okay, that sounds optimistic, because we know that fall could be cruel sometimes, grey, with rain, wind and no sun at all… But the good part of this is that you can bring some smile and happiness on the plate thanks to pervasive PUMPKIN! It is also a great decorative item for your house and Halloween (what Americans know really well ;))!
Today I am serving you two ideas for baked pumpkin. I love it. It is easy to prepare and simply tastes good. You can make it sweet or spicy, whatever taste you have the particular day.
It is a great snack for home-parties or yummy veggie-side for your main dish. Works great with meat, fish, rice, peas. Believe me and try it straight away! Pumpkins are everywhere now so give yourself a try! 😉
Also DO NOT throw away the seeds! They are full of vitamins and they’re high in protein, zinc, copper and iron. It is a good source of Vitamin E and K. As I said, do not throw them but roast them!
- Pumpkin (of course!)
- olive oil
- cinnamon and honey – for sweet option
- herbs and chilli powder – for spicy option
- Wash the pumpkin, cut it according to how are you going to eat it. Chunks? Slices? You decide!
- Scoop and clean the seeds: Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F)
Scoop the seeds from the cavity and place in a colander. Place the colander under cool running water and remove any additional squash flesh. Shake colander to remove water.
- Dry the seeds (Dump the seeds out onto a towel and pat to dry)
- Oil and salt the seeds and pumpkin. Place the seeds on a baking tray and drizzle with a small amount of oil, approximately 1 teaspoon for 3/4 cup of seeds. Add a pinch or two of salt.
Toss and bake them
SPICY add herbs such as chopped rosemary, dried oregano and/or spices such as smoked paprika, chili powder. Check carefully to be sure the herbs and spices aren’t browning too quickly. If so, roast at a sightly lower heat.
SWEET omit or reduce the salt and roast the seeds and pumpkin on parchment-lined baking sheet. Let cool, then toss with honey. Not too much, just enough to lightly coat the seeds. Than add cinnamon and coat evenly.
- Tossed seeds and pumpkin spread out on baking sheet. Put them in the oven and roast until the seeds are just starting to brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. If your oven has uneven spots, you may want to stir after 10 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and let the seeds cool on the tray. Enjoy your baked pumpkin and seeds right away! You can also save seeds and keep for a few days in an airtight container.Sometimes you can be lazy/ or if you have not much time just cut your squash, toss the slices with your chosen spices and it them all together! Put on side of your dish and enjoy. Bon apetite!